Friday, April 20, 2012

Q is for Questions

So I'm a scientist, well an engineer to be more precise.  I deal with facts and information, and I'm well aware that there's a lot more out there in the world that I don't know than what I do know.  So, I make my way through the work world, and indeed through life, by asking lots of questions.

We start out at a very early age, not long after learning how to ask for food that we start asking all kinds of questions about the nature of the world in which we are living.  Why is the sky blue?  Why are the clouds white?  How does wind work?  How come we don't fall off the earth into outer space?  It is only be asking and getting answers to our burning questions that we can derive context out of this brief time we live on this planet.

Hopefully none of you reading this are the type of folks who never ask questions.  I know some folks who never ask questions because they think they know all of the answers all of the time.  Sometimes they get lucky. But most of the time they just show their ignorance of how little they actually know.  I implore everyone to be one of the brave and humble ones who know that they don't know everything, and as such need to seek knowledge and ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment